Monday, February 25, 2008

Part A: Blog Entries

Aaron:
This Chinese New Year was a time of joy and happiness for me. I spent this festival with my family. A few days before the New Year, my family and I did the house cleaning together. I wiped the widows while my sister swept the floor. We also painted our door red in colour. Then, we made a trip to the mall for last-minute shopping. We brought back many decoration such as lanterns, Chinese calligraphy posters and red packets. We put them up on the walls and hang some papercuts on the doors in preparation of the new year.
The day before Chinese New Year, we had a tradition. The tradition was to gather the family to have a meal together. It was called the reunion dinner. We agreed to book a table at a restaurant. We had many traditional food such as nian gao and jiaozi dumplings. Then, my sister and I received red packets from my parents. I was glad that we had a wonderful time at the restaurant.
Finally, the New Year came. On the first day, my family went to visit our relatives. We exchanged mandarin oranges and red packets there. My sister and I spent great amount of time enjoying the New Year goodies at my relatives’ house. When evening came, my family returned home and we had the dinner at home. I was trilled when my mother served many festival food such bakkwa and turnip cakes. After that, my sister and I received red packets containing $100 from my parents. My sister was so happy that she started to tell me about what she could spent the money. Then, my sister and I stayed up late as we wanted to ensure longevity for our parents.
The following day of the New Year, we decided to stay at home for our friends or relatives to visit. Sadly, there was not much people who came to visit us. My father suggested to spend the day at Chinatown. We answered in the affirmative and we took a bus to Chinatown. Chinatown was packed with people but we managed to walk around to see the New Year goods. Then at night, there was both the dragon and lion dance performances. It was a fabulous night with my family.
When we returned home, I felt that I was very fortunate to spend the New Year with my family. I am glad that after this occasion, I am have more closer bonding and understanding with each of my family members.




Joshua:
Chinese new year was pretty boring for me, I guess. The festival was spent with my family and friends, and it was pretty much like a normal weekend. A few days before CNY, my parents snuck off to buy CNY goodies and decorations. Then they hid the goodies, because if it was discovered me and my brothers we would snack on it, finishing everything. The reason I know this is because I found it anyway, and finished it heh heh. They had to buy more goodies after that.
On CNY eve, my family slacked the whole day. I was planning to head to Tampines Mall to kill time but everything there was closed haha. At night we had a "ruenion dinner". We had it with some of my mother's friends, who stayed a few stories above us. It was a pretty small gathering (non of my relatives were invited), but there was quite alot of food there. I don't really enjoy steamboat, but that day was an exception.
Finally, went the new year came, we went out visiting. First, we headed to my father's side of the family. My grandad passed away a few years ago, and my father and his brothers had a tussle over what each of them would inherit, so I don't get to see my cousins so often now. After exchanging mandarin oranges and red packets there,we had a simple meal with her and bid her goodbye. Around the evening, my other relatives came over (mothers side). We had bee hoon and I brought the younger kids to the nearby playground. At night, me and my brothers stood up as late as we could, killing time by watching some vcds. We finally gave up at around 4 am.
The next day, we went to a friends house. Most of my friends were there, so I generally had a good time. We could not leave the house to play some soccer, though, but time was well spent there. In front of the xbox.
After that, we headed home. I like spending chinese new year with my family, as it bonds us closer together and we understand each other more. But the main reason I like CNY is 'cause school is out for the holiday haha.




Akhil:
I celebrate Deepavali every year with my family without fail in the end week or the second week of November. Last year’s celebration was inexplicably different and interesting as we did not invite anyone over to our house as we usually did. Instead, we celebrated it with a few fire crackers and my mother prepared a few sweets as it was a auspicious start for us.

Some of us may regard this festival as the ‘Festival of Lights’. It is probably because we put lamps of lights near and in our house. This is said to chase the evil spirits away. My mother also uses some holy powder to draw some patterns at the footsteps of our house to bring the god into our house and give us good luck.

We also buy new clothes before Deepavali and not during Deepavali. This has the same justification as the Chinese New Year when people sweep their house before the day and not on the day itself.

I feel that by bonding with my family like this we can be able to extend our family relationships so that any obstacle in life can be overcome with ease, comfort and trust.

That is how I celebrate Deepavali with my family.




Ming Hui:
Chinese New Year Eve
On Chinese New Year Eve I woke up early in the morning to go to my school for the Chinese New Year celebrations. Usually waking up so early in the day would be somewhat of a chore but that day it was Chinese New Year eve. I was more than eager to start the day! The school celebrations were not as boring as I thought it would be with the various different CCA groups performing for the school. After school, I immediately took a bus to my old school, Temasek Primary, as I have arranged to meet my old classmates to go to my friend’s house. We had a great time playing computer games as well as X Box. Then finally at night I went to my relative’s house to have the Chinese New Year reunion diner. I had a great time at my relatives’ place playing with my cousins and collecting red packets. We stayed up till past midnight then I went home finally to sleep.

The first day of Chinese New Year
The next day, I woke up and went to my grandparent’s house so to pick them up to go to my great grandmothers’ house. I am very fortunate to have my great grandmother still alive and well at 98 years old. I had a great time there spending time with my elders and collecting more red packets. Then at night I visited my aunt’s house to play with my cousins and collect more red packets again.

The Second Day of Chinese New Year
I visited my other uncles’ and aunts’ houses. We ate steamboat and caught with each others. There was a very festive mood there and everyone was happy and laughing.

The Third Day of Chinese New Year
On the third day, my mother has a special invitation from an primary school friend and we went to her house for lunch. The food was delicious with many different spreads of dishes. We then went to our elder uncle’s house and had a wonderful time. He has a big terrace house. I played with my cousins and their cute dog Fido. I think dogs are really fun animals to have.

The Forth Day of Chinese New Year
On the forth day, the mood was quieter as we have to prepare for school the next day
As it was a Sunday, we went to church where the Chinese pastors preached in Mandarin while a interpreter translated it into English. . I enjoyed my time there and was sad that the CNY holidays would be over soon.

No comments: